Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Some Things I Love Right Now

Just thought I'd post a few things from/involving film that right now, at this moment, I can't help but love:


  • This poster from Paprika. Watched this film yesterday and really enjoyed it, but I absolutely love the poster. I've seen less anime than I care to admit, but of the five or six films I have seen, this one is possibly my favorite. Maybe because, compared to other films I've seen, it's very serious or maybe because it talks about how dreams are like films. Still, sometimes a poster can perfectly capture something (Essence? Spirit? Style? Mood?) present in a film and you can't help but wish the poster was the film.

  • Tilda Swinton in Michael Clayton. I just finished watching this and cannot stop thinking of her great performance. She shows us a woman who is very powerful but very nervious. She gets nervious preparing for a television interview, but only has to think for a moment when deciding whether or not to kill a man.

  • The way some films weave references and pay homage to other films, thereby connecting themselves to the worlds and mythology of those films. For example: in Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill Vol. 1 Uma Thurman's The Bride travels to Japan in order to get a sword made by Hanzô Hattori, which in a strange way ties Tarantino's film to those other Hattori Hanzô films, or at least the TV series Sonny Chiba starred in. Tarantino has countless references to other films, and filmmakers like Kevin Smith sometimes make their films unofficial sequels to one another (Smith's View Askewniverse ties many of his films together through characters, events and locations), but filmmakers reference other filmmakers' work all the time, and I can't get enough of it. It's as if all these films are taking place in the same bizzare, wonderful universe.

No comments: